Wednesday, January 25, 2012

TOM FORD: BECAUSE SEX SELLS (NSFW)

Tom Ford advertising.  Objectionable?  Sexy?  Or both?

 I really don't like images of violence.  I don't read violent books, which is why I'll never read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I don't see violent movies, which is why I won't see TGWTDT, and I don't appreciate violence in advertising.  Extreme violence perpetrated against young women, or anyone, deeply offends me, especially since my two daughters were born.

Sex?  Now that's a totally different thing.  One thing Tom Ford knows how to do, and do well, is draw attention to himself.  How better to draw attention than with sex?  Sex sells, but is it offensive?  Not to me, but I can totally understand how it could offend some.  Could sex possibly be on par with violence on the offensive scale?  Again, not in my opinion.  Do the following ads objectify women (and men) or is TF celebrating the beautiful human body and sex? 
 Hmmm....personally I think Tom Ford is one big celebration!  What's you opinion?


"I don't understand why our culture both worships and objectifies beauty, and then slams those of us who participate in it.  Because I make that detachment I'm capable of objectifying a beautiful woman, but that doesn't demean her in any way.  She's beautiful because she's a creature who exists physically, in the physical world, who happens to be in a moment of prime"


"In our culture, we use female nudity to sell everything.  We're very comfortable objectifying women. But full frontal male nudity challenges us.  It makes men nervous. It makes women nervous."


 "Sex is just second nature with me."
"My own sex life is very monogamous and happy....Just a happy married sex life."
Are you offended by sex in advertising? 
In case you think it's hypocritical of me to have put a (NSFW) disclaimer in the title...I have no idea what your work environment is like....better safe than sorry.

Have a beautiful day.
YANCEY

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...