Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mid-Century Illustrative Art

Mid-Century Illustrative Art Rocks!

I love the vibe of illustrations of the 50's and 60's. We've already profiled the art of Mary Blair, as a darling of the Damn Happy. Here's a slice of other artists of the day.

I especially love home interior illustrations, but they are hard to find -- I will have to dig into that more at a later date.

I've not made an exhaustive study of it, but what I see in these drawings is an innocence, a hopefulness, a simplicity and cleanness of design, sometimes elongated legs and rounded features that marks it as mid-century to my eyes. Interesting to note that some of those same adjectives can be used to describe mid-century modern furniture.

There seems to be a resurgence of interest in using this style. Perhaps the renewed interest is driven by the popularity of Mad Men, perhaps its nostalgia for mid-century living or a rediscovery of the beauty of the art?

In any event, here is a brief snapshot of some illustrative art I found. Hope you enjoy!
Shine On! Braxton
LEFT CLICK TO ZOOM












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...