Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

CY TWOMBLY 1928-2011

I was saddened to learn of the death last week of one of my favorite visual artists, Cy Twombly.  Please note that I am in no way a art historian, and therefore will not attempt to speak with any kind of academic authority,  but I am a great lover of painting, and a great admirer of Mr. Twombly's work. 
 I have purposely avoided the analytical chatter that has been all over the Internet this week;  his work is important because.....the historical relevance of his work is......what he's trying to say is.....blah, blah, and more blah.
What I know is that Cy Twombly's paintings illicit a deep emotional response in me - it's almost a Alice in Wonderland effect, I fall in and just keep falling.  I love his frequent use of pink, a favorite of mine, and his child(ish) like squiggles.
 I've been to enough museums and galleries in my life to know that seeing a painting in person can be quite a different experience from seeing it in a book or magazine.  I've stood before paintings while holding back tears (Renoir) because I was so moved by how much more beautiful it was in person. I've also stood before works ((O'keeffe) and thought I really liked it better as poster art in a dorm room.  Oops!
 I've not had the good fortune to see Twombly's work in person, yet.  Yet, I have been moved, very moved.  It's almost too cliche to say, but here goes:  he speaks to me.
 My personal life tends to be very quiet and small - and I like it like that - and it's rare when something from the outside world reaches out and draws me in.  I usually resist, but Cy Twombly's work to me is....irresistible.
 When I do get a chance to see it in person, if I change my mind, I'll let you know.
 Until then.....Thank you Mr. Cy Twombly for making the world a more beautiful place.
Have a BEAUTIFUL day.
YANCEY

2 comments:

Braxton and Yancey said...

Love his work, particularly the first one. Would love to see more! First pc would rock our living room. Brax

hazelrah said...

Beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...