Welcome to another addition of New Muse Monday. I am so very excited about this weeks choice; the 1920's.
Just to get us all up to speed on our 20's history, I've made us this little timeline.....
- 1920- Women were given the right to vote. (Seriously, can you believe it didn't happen loooong before then?)
- 1920 - Prohibition begins (yikes, a big game changer for sure).
Of course we'll be discussing the trends in fashion during the 1920's, as well as trends in decorating (hint: there will be lots discussion regarding Art Deco, a favorite of mine), movie stars of the time and Hollywood's influence on style,the effects of prohibition, and so much more.
- 1923 - 1st sound in a motion picture.
- 1923 - The "charleston" dance becomes popular.
Ralph Lauren's spring 2012 show at NYFW, plus all the excitement about Baz Luhrman's Gatsby, has really got me in a 20's mood.
We'll be talking about American expatriates in Paris during the decade of the 20's, including Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Picasso and then some.
- 1925- The "flapper" dress becomes popular..
- 1925- Popularity of rayon causes decline in use of cotton.
- 1926- Knee length hemlines become popular.
- 1927- Advent of talking pictures emerges.
- 1927- Pez candy was invented (yay!).
- 1928- Elsa Schiaparelli opens Paris boutique - pioneers the use of zippers, shoulder pads, and bright color in fashion.
If you decide to follow along with one of the fantastic hair and makeup of the 20's tutorials on youtube, please share. I'll do the same.
- 1929- Crash of the stock market - beginning the great depression.
Are you with me? It's going to be a really fun ride.
As always, don't be shy, join in the conversation. Do you love the 20's style?
Have a beautiful day.