Tuesday, November 22, 2011

DECORATE WITH MIRRORS!

"I love mirrors.  They let one pass through the surface of things"  Claude Chabrol
It's no secret, I've said it a kazillion times, Braxton and I live in a small house, and as small house dwellers we have come to know well the design miracle of mirrors, mirrors and yet more mirrors.  Reflection can illuminate dark corners and create the illusion of space.  
Mirrors are a green alternative to electric lighting, because nothing throws light around like a well placed mirror. 
I've placed mirrors opposite windows and beside windows and in rooms with no window at all.....and every one allows the eye to see beyond the barrier of the wall thus creating space where there is none.
I love mirrors!
A mirrored chandelier in a hotel lobby.....mirror or work of art?

Creating paneling with mirrors.

Antique(d) mirrors reflect a ghostly image...which seems mysterious and luxurious to me.

Love the modern effect here.
"I used to live in a room full of mirrors, all I could see was me.  I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole worlds is here for me to see"  Jimi Hendrix
Brilliant!  A mirrored sculpture as a headboard.

No surprise here...Christian Aguilera mirrors her ceilings!

A mirrored sculpture which hangs from the ceiling.  Imagine how much light this would throw around.

Cool tiger claw effect.

The perfect use of a mirror in a small space (providing there are no small children about).  Propped up against the wall this mirror creates a faux doorway.

I love how this collection of mirrors work together to created something way more interesting than a single large mirror.

This headboard was made with boxes of inexpensive mirrored tiles purchased at Ikea.

Mirrored lit spheres seen at the furniture market in Milan.

I made this picture extra large so you could see that this very small kitchen, featured in House Beautiful, has a mirrored back splash.....something I dream about doing in my own home.

The illusion of a room beyond the cook top is created with mirrors.
I have become obsessed with the idea of a sunburst mirror over the sofa in my living room.  These are a few of my favorites.  Enjoy!

"The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows"  Sydney J. Harris
An entire collection of sunburst mirrors....heaven.


This one has great diy potential.


Easily my favorite.  Anyone know where I can get one of these beauties?

Have a beautiful day.
YANCEY

3 comments:

Braxton and Yancey said...

Love the starbursts! Very Atomic! I want. Brax

Leslie Richman said...

I love using mirrors. We have a few cool corners in our house that are made simply of found (free!) mirrors and other objects arranged to make little vignettes. I am totally intrigued by the mirrored back splash and am thinking that could be achieved for free with a little creativity too...I'm on a mission!

Braxton and Yancey said...

Leslie - keep us posted on your "mission" - would love to see how it goes! Good luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...