Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PHILIPPE STARCK - LEGEND OF MODERN DESIGN

Philippe Starck - interior designer, architect, industrial designer and genius self promoter.
 Phillippe Starck's creative life began under his aircraft designer father's desk, where he would sit for hours with pen, paper, scissors, and a wicked imagination.  By the mid 1960's he had begun his first business making inflatable objects.
Mr. Starck is probably the most prolific designer alive today, and certainly one of the most controversial.  I've just spent a good couple of hours reading various interviews PS has give over the years, where he comes across as....pissed off....brilliant...not at all comfortable with the english language...bored....confused... sexy...full of himself...and did I say brilliant?
I think the best way to go here is to show you a few of his designs (there are sooooo many), and a few quotes.  
If you are interested in learning more about Philippe Starck I recommend you view his TED talk...did I say brilliant?
Optical mouse for microsoft

Is it a planter?  Chair?  It's over 7ft. tall!

Super modern stackable chairs.
 "In perhaps 50 years, 60 years, we can finish completely this civilization and offer to our children the possibility to invent a new story, a new poetry, a new romanticism."
Yep, it's exactly what it looks like.  Cool design, but is there an ick factor here or what?

BaObab desk.
 "When I design, I don't consider the technical or commercial parameters so much as the desire for a dream that humans have attempted to project onto an object."
 "No one has to be a genius, but everyone has to participate."
Folding chair.
 "Love is an endangered species."
The most WTF item I could find.  Does anyone really need a "gun lamp" Mr. Starck?

High back chair.
 "We do not need to kill to survive."
My favorite PS design,  the iconic juicer...as featured in the MoMA and breakfast tables the world over.

The Louis Ghost Chair.

 "I am not in the mainstream of thinking, I do not follow trends, I live completely out of everything, I do not go to the cinema, I do not watch television, I do not read magazines, I do not go to cocktail parties."
He designs yachts...of course he does.


Steam/shower cabin.


 "I am a dreamer, a professional dreamer."
Philippe Starck for Fossil

Wheelbarrow chair.

Wireless speakers with docking stations for the ipod and iphone.
Seriously, check out that TED talk when you have the time.
Have a beautiful spring day!
yancey

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...