Thursday, May 24, 2012

MODERN LANDSCAPING

MODERN LANDSCAPING - WHEN STYLES COLLIDE
 As much as I would love to live in a modern house...we don't.  Ours was originally a log cabin built over 100 yrs. ago, renovated in the early 20th century then again in the early 1970's, then once again (by us) in the 90's.  When we moved here the yard was fairly simple...a maple or two...a fruit tree here and there...simple shrubbery around the house...and lots of grass.  
Fifteen (or so) years ago, we decided to "spruce up" the place by planting lots of trees, a circle of bushes in the back yard, a lovely pear tree in the front yard, and a hedge of holly bushes around our property.  Now, the whole thing is waaay over grown, as in, about to rise up and choke us to death.
I really really want modern landscaping this time!  The question is...will modern landscaping seem out of place with our simple cottage?
I actually could see something like this working with our house (minus the balls) . The simplicity of the design allows for the house to be the focal point.


The slope of our yard would make this pretty impossible.

Love the gravel/stone driveway...this we could do!


Have you noticed that almost every one of these yards is landscaped with rock and/or stones?


Notice the privacy screen on the right?  We'll talk about those tomorrow.

Done!  I am definitely incorporating some river rocks into our new landscaping...and stepping stones.  Are you listening Braxton?


I found a traditional house with modern landscaping!  It can be done!
What do you guys think of the juxtaposition of a traditional home and modern landscaping?  Yes or no?
Have a beautiful day.
yancey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I have
truly loved browsing your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write once more soon!
Here is my web blog ... my garden

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...