Thursday, January 3, 2019

CHEESY STUFFED BISCUITS

Welcome back to my blog.  It's been a while, and I admit that I have forgotten quite a lot about how it's done.  Please be patient with me, as I relearn.  Also, I need to apologize for the poor quality of theses photos....something else I seem to have forgotten how to do!
This is the finished product.  As you can see, they are light and fluffy, but the cheese decided to escape from the sides!
As promised on instagram, I will be walking you through the process of making these stuffed biscuits.  I will include the recipe at the end of the post.

This is my preferred brand of flour.  Use the flour of your choice, however, I definitely recommend using a southern (or winter wheat) flour, which will improve the lightness of your biscuits.

I have recently discovered the ease of shredding my butter into the flour, rather than using my pastry knife.  Obviously, your butter will need to be cold enough to shred, in fact, you can take the butter right from the freezer!

Once I had my biscuit dough, I divided it into two equal parts, and shaped each into a round of equal thickness.  

Placing the cheese blocks on the round of dough.

Covering the bottom round, and cheese, with the top round of dough. Then feeling for the blocks of cheese, (awkward!) I used my biscuit cutter to cut my biscuit shape.

When all biscuits were cut out, and placed on my greased cookie sheet, I generously brushed the tops with buttermilk.
Recipe for Cheesy Stuffed Biscuits.


1/2 cup (one stick) cold butter
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
12 small blocks of cheddar, or cheese of your choice.

In a wide shallow bowl, measure two cups self-rising flour.  Using a cheese grater, or pastry knife if you prefer, grate one stick of butter over the flour.  With clean hands stir the butter around so each piece is coated with flour.  Add 3/4 cups of buttermilk, and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms..

Sprinkle a clean cutting board with flour and tip the dough onto the board.  With clean hands, knead the dough five or six times, until all flour is incorporated.  Form the dough into a ball, and with a sharp knife, cut the  ball into two equal halves.

With hands, or a rolling pin, roll out each ball of dough into equal sized rounds, approx. 1/4 inch thick.  Place two blocks of cheese on one of the rounds (refer to photo for placement), then cover with the other round, gently patting with your hands.  After feeling for the placement of the cheese, cut out biscuit shape, keeping the cheese block centered in the biscuit cutter. Roll up the leftover dough and repeat until all dough is used.  Whew, still with me?

Place biscuits on a lightly greased cookie sheet, allowing biscuits to touch.  Brush the tops with buttermilk and bake in the preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 17 minutes.

I know this sounds a bit complicated, so please don't hesitate to ask for guidance.  

The end result, was a light fluffy delicious biscuit with a center of gooey melted cheese!


My finished biscuit.  Next time, if there is one, I'll use a much larger block of cheese.  The end result was not as cheesy as I had hoped. 
 This

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...