Tuesday, May 22, 2012

ATRIUMS, BREEZEWAYS AND COURTYARDS

the abc's of indoor/outdoor living
When I began this post I thought I understood the difference between an atrium, breezeway and courtyard, turns out these words are pretty much interchangeable.  I'm pretty sure an architect or contractor could set me straight on the subject, but for our purposes, let's stick with the following loosey/goosey definitions.


An atrium is a large open space within a building usually with a glass roof and sometimes glass walls.
A breezeway  is similar to a hallway, but without walls, which allows you to walk between buildings without being exposed to the elements.
A courtyard is an open space, surrounded by a building on three or four sides, with no roof.


Whichever word you choose, atriums, breezeways and courtyards, are the architectural equivalent of  paradise...allowing for the enjoyment of nature without a loss of privacy.


Let's take a look...

COURTYARD

COURTYARD


ATRIUM(?)

COURTYARD

ATRIUM

ATRIUM AS ENTRANCE WAY...THIS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE LOVE!

COURTYARD

COURTYARD

BREEZEWAY AND COURTYARD

ATRIUM

ATRIUM

COURTYARD/BREEZEWAY

BREEZEWAY

BREEZEWAY OR COURTYARD


BREEZEWAY
I love the idea of having to walk outside in order to access a part of your house!  Do you prefer the word atrium, breezeway or courtyard?  Do you agree with my definitions?

Have a beautiful day.
yancey



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...