Monday, February 21, 2011

RETRO RECIPE - Hawaiian Shrimp Platter



Lately I've been collecting a series of cookbooks published by Better Homes and Gardens in the 60's.  Actually, I believe these books continue to be published today, but, I'm only interested in the ones from that decade.  My mom must have had everyone of these books, but alas, when she died I did not get a single one of her cookbooks, which is why I collect them now.  I have been able to find them easily, they were apparently quite popular, and I've never spent more than $5.00 for one.

Last night for dinner I made this recipe. It was really quite good, and very easy.  I love the mention of "a touch of the orient". 

Gasp!  Does anyone else write in their cookbooks?  I find it's really helpful when you make changes, as I do frequently.

The assembled ingredients

The shrimp ready to go in the oven.

Chopping one whole onion.

Slicing one whole green pepper.

Saute onion and pepper in olive oil. That's the rice cooking on the back burner.


Arranging the rice on the platter.

Arranging the vegs on top of the rice.

After the shrimp has been arranged around the rice and vegs.
This recipe includes two things I almost never use; processed food - in this case the breaded shrimp - and white sugar, which I left out.  Braxton and I agreed it would have been just as good or better had I used fresh shrimp which I probably would have sauteed in a little olive oil.
As you are about to see I made quite a few changes to the recipe.  I try to make things healthier usually by adding more vegs than are called for and less fat and sugar.
We thought this dish made a nice presentation, and was so tasty that I'm pretty sure I'll make it again with the unbreaded shrimp, also, it made for a fairly inexpensive meal.  What's not to love?

The recipe with my changes in blue.

HAWAIIAN SHRIMP PLATTER

  • 1 10-ounce package frozen breaded shrimp
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion / I used one whole onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green pepper / I used one whole green pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine /I used olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar / I left out the sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar / I used rice vinegar just because that's what I had
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce/ I used low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 1-lb 41/2 ounce can pineapple tid-bits/ I used a 8 ounce can*
  • 2 cups hot cooked rice/ I used brown rice **
Cook shrimp according to package directions.  Set aside, keeping shrimp warm.  I waited and cooked the shrimp so that it would be ready at the last minute.
Cook chopped onion and green pepper in butter (olive oil) till tender but not brown.  Combine sugar (left out) cornstarch, vinegar, and soy sauce.  Stir into onion mixture.  Drain pineapple, reserving syrup.  Add syrup to onion mixture.  Cook and stir till mixture thickens and boils; cook 1 minute longer.  Stir in pineapple; heat to boiling.  Serve over rice, with the shrimp.  Serves 4.

* The dole company sure did a great job of selling canned pineapple to mid century housewives.  So many recipes of that era called for this "exotic" ingredient.
** I always cook my rice in organic chicken broth.  It's sooo much better.

Enjoy!
Yancey

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...