Wednesday, November 9, 2011

PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES.....

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a very private person, strange for a blogger I know.  Yet, I do have a fascination with glass houses.  Pretty certain I wouldn't be comfortable living in one, but oh my God are these houses beautiful.   Let's look...
I love the roof line on this one, and the indoor/outdoor feel thanks to the pond and garden just beyond the glass.


 The following glass house, which is an example of one of the earliest uses of industrial materials such as glass and steel in home design, was designed my Philip Johnson in 1949 in New Canaan Connecticut.  The house, located behind a stone wall and mostly hidden from public view, was the weekend retreat of Mr. Johnson for 58 years.

The following four pictures are of a concept house built by Carlo Santambrogio and Ennio Arosio designed to showcase a line of modern glass furniture by the Italian Company Santambrogiomilano.  Obviously not intended to actually be lived in, this house is a work of art and shows what can happen when art and architecture collide.  Practical? No. Beautiful? Oh hell yes.
 I'm  pretty certain there are not enough fur blankets and pots of hot tea in the world to keep me warm in this house.  On the flip side can you imagine how hot this would be in the summer?
 All this glass seems beautifully disorienting to me... like a dream.


The dream house in my head looks a lot like this one.

This mountain home in Boulder Colorado was designed by architect Matthew McMullen, and is actually currently on the market.

 "People who live in glass houses don't have much of a sex life"  Tom Best
This is the Santambrogio house from the outside.


 "People who live in glass houses have to answer the bell"  Bruce Patterson

What do you think?  Could you live in a glass house?  These pictures conjure up so many questions....where do you hang your art?....How do you heat/cool a glass house?...Where would the cat hide when visitors come?
Have a beautiful day.
YANCEY

2 comments:

Braxton and Yancey said...

Fantastic! Sign me up! Brax

Batangas City real estate said...

Nice post!! Glass houses are fantastic! I love the design, the idea and these houses.. But i guess, I won't live in a house like this, it is very open (i think). But it could be a blessing if i get one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...