Thursday, February 16, 2012

LOVING YOUR JOB

Do what you love...love what you do!
 Several years ago, Braxton and I had lunch in a downtown food court which was close to his office.  With our trays of falafel (or whatever) we searched to find an empty table.  Once seated, Braxton looked at me and nodded his head over there..."check this guy out".


We spent the rest of our lunch time witnessing the joy of a man who loves his job.  The young man was working his way through the crowd, clearing and washing tables, throwing away other peoples trash, carefully lining up chairs...with the grace of a dancer, the concentration of a surgeon and a beautiful smile on his face.  He took one of the dirtiest most thankless jobs on the planet, busing tables, and turned it into...art.


Think back on your favorite teacher, your favorite coach, waitress, the bus driver who has a kind word and a smile for everyone...you know what they have in common?  The all love their job!  I can't tell you how many times over the years I've thought of that bus boy at the food court and been inspired all over again.  People who do what they love and love what they do make the whole world happier!

 The first step toward doing what you love is knowing what you love.  When I was a kid, my mother decided I had an aptitude for science.  She encouraged me to apply for Governor's School for Math and Science, I was accepted and hated it.  Later as a teenager, she decided I should be a dentist "it's a perfect job for a woman with small hands" Huh?  Do you have any idea how much I don't regret not being a dentist?


Like many people, I went to college not having a clue what I wanted to do with my life.  Fast forward a few years, or decades, and now with age and a certain amount of wisdom, I know.   I've actually always known.  I am a creative person who gets excited just thinking about art, design, fashion, cooking...and I want to be a designer, or rather I am a designer. My soul has always known, I just didn't listen until now. 

If you are searching to discover your dream job...listen to your soul, it's trying to tell you something.  When we get excited about something, can't stop thinking about it, do it in our spare time, read about it, dream about it...that's our soul telling is it's what we should be doing.


Steve Jobs put it best..."Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice.  And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.  They somehow already know what you truly want to become.  Everything else is secondary." 



 "If you can dream it, you can do it"  
Walt Disney

 "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key"  The Eagles


This is one of my favorite quotes, and one of my first and favorite art projects as a kid...I made a poster of this saying and it hung on the back of my bedroom door, where only I could see it, for years.   It has meaning still.
If you are uncertain what your dream job should be...know that you are not alone.  Take your time and listen to your heart and soul, it will come.


Have a beautiful day.
yancey

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...